Financial Aid

Veteran Services

Welcome Veterans!

College of Eastern Idaho is grateful for the service that our current service members and veterans have made and continue to make for our country.

CEI's goal is to make the process of receiving Veteran Affairs (VA) Educational Benefits as easy as possible. VA services are provided by the CEI Certifying Officials in the Financial Aid Office located in the John E. Christofferson Building in Student Services.

Veterans may be eligible for VA educational benefits, a dependent of a veteran, a spouse of a veteran, or a reservist. CEI offers assistance in applying for VA benefits and the process. You may follow the steps below or you may come to our office for assistance.

How to Apply for VA Benefits

  • VA students must apply for their education benefits. Apply online at CEI offers assistance for Veterans with applying for benefits.

    Applying on the VA's website is preferred; however, paper applications are available. Please return all paper applications to the VA or to the VA Certifying Official at CEI.

    IMPORTANT* If you are eligible for more than one educational benefit, be sure to understand all the benefits you are eligible for before changing from the Montgomery GI Bill® to the Post 9/11 GI Bill®. You are required to choose which benefit to receive, that decision is final and cannot be changed.

  • Once you have applied for your benefits you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility. Submit the Certificate of Eligibility to the VA Certifying Official at CEI.
  • The GI Bill® Comparison Tool is available for veterans and provides information about college costs and benefits. This tool will help you with choosing the program that best fits your educational needs.
  • Comparison chart for education benefits.
  • Apply online for admission to CEI.
  • Submit official transcripts from the last high school attended, transcripts from all post-secondary education and military transcripts if applicable. Complete all requirements for admission.
  • Contact the VA directly for questions concerning your eligibility of benefits 1-888-442-4551.
  • Note: CEI does not participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program

Helpful Information when Applying for Education Benefits:

  • To apply for benefits you will be asked to provide information such as bank routing and account numbers for direct deposit purposes.
  • DD 214 Form(s) or separation papers will be helpful for entering dates of your military service when applying as well as requested by the Certifying Official at CEI.
  • You will also need the address of the school or training institution you wish to attend. College of Eastern Idaho 1600 S 25th East, Idaho Falls, ID 83404.

Every Semester:

  • Meet with your program Advisor.
  • Contact the VA certifying Official.
  • Register for classes.
  • To receive your VA Education Benefits, you must be registered in classes and be accepted in an approved program.
  • Before making changes to your class schedule be sure to speak to the Certifying Official at CEI as well as your program advisor.
  • Changing or dropping classes can affect your benefits and may cause a pay back on your benefits.
  • Chapter 30 students must certify enrollment every month, even if only attending for a few days of the month.


  • It is important to note that students receiving VA educational benefits may also be eligible to receive financial aid and/or scholarships.
  • Apply for Financial Aid at (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
  • For Scholarship information go to CEI Foundation Scholarships

* GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  The absence of the registration symbol ® does not constitute a waiver of VA"s trademark rights in that phrase. 


Veteran Services are currently provided by Tiffany Cleverly, CEI Veteran's Certifying Official.

College of Eastern Idaho, 208.524.3000, 1600 S 25th E, Idaho Falls, ID 83404

Student Right To Know

2019 All Rights Reserved, AA/EEO Institution